Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Film!

The past week or so's been a bit of a blast from the past. I've been wanting to get back into film photography for a while, and finally took the plunge and ordered a few rolls of Pan-F to go in my well-used (okay, it's battered) Canon AV-1. I've only taken it out once so far, as part of a filming project, but I'm enjoying the mechanical feel of film photography again. I've got access to a darkroom so it hopefully won't be long to see how far my developing skills have atrophied!

And if that wasn't retro enough, I was going through old cameras with my father and we dug up his Lubitel/Polaroid hybrid:


He built it sometime in the 80's from instructions printed in Amateur Photographer magazine - basically, saw the back off the Lubitel, saw the front off a Polaroid, glue together. I got hold of some film for it, which is super rare, and tried to take a few photos. Unfortunately the film was way too far out of date and all I got was creamy brown sludge on the prints, but it was still fun. There's something very rewarding about such a completely mechanical process.

The Phoblographer has some better photos that I took of the camera: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/04/08/take-look-super-cool-lubitel-instant-back/#.U0SDOPldV8G

No comments:

Post a Comment